How To Stop Mice & Other Pests From Spoiling Your Holidays
If you’re worried about mice, cockroaches, and other pests putting a damper on your holiday cheer, you’re not alone. Although it’s a time for joy, festivities, and creating memories with your loved ones, it doesn’t stop pests from infesting. Worse than Cousin Eddy, insects and rodents can cause damage, and some may even pose a threat to health. In this article, we'll explore the potential problems pests cause during the holidays (and really all year long) and provide practical tips on how to keep pests away.
Why it’s important to keep pests out
Unfortunately, insects and rodents are more than a nuisance; they pose serious risks to your people and property. Here are a few reasons why it’s important to keep pests out, no matter the season:
Rodents, in their quest for food and shelter, can gnaw through electrical wiring, insulation, and wooden structures, leading to potential fire hazards and compromised structural integrity.
Mice and rats aren’t they only pest that cause damages to houses though, termites and carpenter ants also cause damage ranging from minor cosmetic issues to more extensive problems.
Damage to belongings
If you’ve ever grabbed a box of holiday decorations out of the attic only to find chew marks in the cardboard, you know what we’re talking about. Both rodents and insects have no regard for personal property and will damage belongings by chewing on them or contaminating them with their urine and feces. This is especially a problem in the garage, attic, and other storage areas where there is less risk of being disturbed or discovered.
Cockroaches, ants, and stored product pests are just a few of the insects that tend infest sugar, flour, and other stored food items, rendering them inedible.
Diseases & allergens
According to the National Pest Management, rodents are known to spread 35+ diseases worldwide including Salmonella and Hantavirus. Rodent-borne illnesses are typically spread through droppings, urine, and saliva.
What’s more, pests can introduce allergens in the form of shed skins, feces, and saliva. This can trigger allergic reactions in susceptible individuals and can even cause respiratory problems and other health issues.
How to stop insects & rodents from spoiling your holiday cheer
To keep pests out of your home this holiday season, we recommend implementing the following pest prevention tips:
- Seal up entry points using caulking, weather stripping, or other pest-proof material to stop insects from getting inside.
- Trim back tree limbs, bushes, and shrubs so that they do not touch your home and act as a bridge for opportunistic pests.
- Pick up leaves, remove old tires, and haul away other yard debris to eliminate potential hiding spots.
- Store firewood at least 20 feet from your house and up off the ground. Be sure to shake each piece before bringing them inside.
- Wipe up crumbs and spills on kitchen counters and the floor as soon as they happen. You should also clean kitchen surfaces after each use.
- Avoid leaving food out on the counter or in unsealed packages; instead store in airtight containers.
- Don’t leave dirty dishes in the kitchen sink for any length of time and especially not overnight.
- In between trash days, be sure to keep your outdoor trash bins closed and do not let garbage pile up around them.
- Address moisture issues in your crawl space and elsewhere in your home.
- Repair leaky kitchen faucets and other plumbing issues inside and out
What to do if pests are already a problem in your home
If you’re hearing mice in the walls at night, have spotted cockroaches in the bathroom, or noticed other pests in or around your home, contact Harris Pest Control for help!
Our locally owned and family-operated pest control company has been protecting homes and families from pests since 1973 and are proud to offer the best home pest control services in Florence, Darlington, and Myrtle Beach as well as throughout South Carolina’s Pee Dee and Grand Strand areas. Check out our residential plans and pricing below or give us a call to discuss your current pest problem or to schedule a free pest inspection; we’d be happy to help!
Complete Coverage That's Easy On The Budget
If you're searching for a way to protect your home and family from insects and rodents that infest homes in the Pee Dee and Grand Strand regions, our Intelligent Choice Service Program is the solution! It combines general pest control and termite control to deliver the results you need. And that's not all. Upgrade your plan to include a yearly moisture service, fire ant control, mosquito control, or all of the above! Compare our residential plans and pricing below or simply give us a call to learn more.
Get Started Today!